Thursday, September 16, 2010

It's raining it's pouring, the drive train is roaring


After showing up to work today with wet feet despite "full" fenders, I decided to explore some new mudflap options.  I have seen people use water bottle cut in half, but the hard, unbendable plastic might present some toe-overlap issues for us small folk.  That being said, I decided going with timeless leather might do the trick - tough yet ever so supple and soft.  Lucky there happens to be a leather shop down the street from my office, I was able to find a scrap piece of leather for $3, which probably could have made more than one set.


After I got home I started exploring what shape would give me the most road grim protection, with the least amount of toe-overlap.  Conveniently, the shape was only a corner store away:
(I don't have access, which is another way of saying money, to a screen printing shop, but that would make a pretty rad mudflap and probably few people smile on their AM commute.)  

To install, I drilled out the existing rivets and used my beloved zip times to fasten the flaps to the fenders.  As I was putting on this back mudflap, it occured to me that this flap was more for those riding behind me than myself, so I thought of another screen printing option:
(Whether they are or not remains to be seen.) 

 In addition to keeping my feet dry, I have to say a huge plus for me is keeping even more road grim off my bike and out of my drive train.  As I was installing the flaps, I realized that despite full fenders, my cranks were still covered in crap that presumably came from the rear wheel splash.  In answer to this, I went a bit over board installing a half water bottle on the seat tube side of the fender.
It wraps around the wheel perfectly, doesn't stick out or obstruct anything, and, I presume, will do a damn good job of keeping my cranks, chain, and surrounding area that much clearer - let's hope.  So here's the question, has anyone tired this before? Any help or obstruction?  The added grim splash I get might be because I am using a cross bike with mammoth clearance, but I could see the same problem happening on road frames too.  

Let me know what you think and I'll let you know how this works out.  Here's to a long winter . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment