Saturday, October 9, 2010

Osmotic Centrations

I haven't posted in a while mainly because I have been getting shelled in school.  Let's recap there:

I am taking Anatomy and Physiology this term which has some pretty strong pre-requisites recommendations.  Going into the classes I am holding a pretty good GPA, so, in the option of opting out of the pre-reqs, I figured I could take the hit on the GPA in exchange for not spending an additional $1,000,000 for an extra term of lower level bio or chem classes.  There in lies the problem...

Every class of the past two weeks have left me with more questions than answers.  In cycling terms, I am off the back.  According to our syllabus I am essentially off the back before the race even started.  That being said, my time has been devoted to studying, but to study, I feel like I need to study if you know what I mean.  The chemistery review we had the first week was Greek to me.   So I did my damnedest to learn what I could of chemistry, only so I could understand what I was supposed to be studying.

So yeah, its been rough.  The up shot of this, is that I am learning some of the most fascinating things I have ever tried to put into my brain.   Even better, things are starting to click.  Now that we are starting to move away from the chem side of physiology and into some of the more conceptual aspects, (i.e. preferred fuel sources for different levels of activity), things, like molecules themselves,  are coming together.

In addition to A + P, I am taking Kinesiology, Nutrition, and, not for credit hours, a Fitness Instructor Class.  Nutrition is cake work.  I love the material, but most of it is review thus far (probably how people in A + P feel about the class) and Kinesiology is nothing short of amazing.  The study of motion!  Yeah, I am into it.  Again, a Pre-req for this class is A + P, which I am just taking now.  Lots of bridging up to the rest of the class has been made this past week, but things are coming grupo compacto.  And of course, there is always coffee:

 In addition to classes, I am planning on racing with collegiate with the PSU Cycling Team.   Because of my OBRA points, I will be able to race in the Men's A field and will probably have an easy time qualifying for Collegiate Nationals - transportation and such paid for by PSU :).  Should be a fun times!  On the OBRA side, can't wait to start racing with Team O. The team has a meet the team group ride Oct 16th, that anyone interested in racing or joining a new team should come check out!  In other  OBRA, I saw the tentative race date calendar for the 2011 race season and it looks like Cherry Blossom is going to be April 8th - 10th.  What that means for all you planning anal-retentives out there like me is that if you start Base 1 November 1st (perfect time to start a new season), you will have exactly enough time for the traditional training script (i.e. Base1, Base2, Base3, Build1, Build2, Peak).  Was the intentional?  seems to perfect not to be.

That's all. Hopefully as classes progress (hopefully along my knowledge and understanding), I'll have more time to post.

Good Luck to everyone racing Rainer tomorrow - my favorites Cross Crusade course!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment